Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sam's Philosophy For A "Very Happy Life"

               I have been spending much time this past school year thinking about happiness. On Simchat Torah I was privileged to give a shiur at my shul on the Jewish Pursuit of Happiness.   A different spin on this same concept was the basis for the shiur I delivered at the Yachad Shabbaton in Fair Lawn. (For those of us who have ever attended Yachad- a happier bunch you will never find!)  Most recently, the theme of my family Mishloach Manot was "Mitzvah gedolah l'hiyot b'simcha tamid"- "It is a mitzvah to be in the constant state of happiness." (R' Nachman M'Breslov).  Needless to say, happiness has been on my mind.
               This search for happiness led me to Sam Berns.  Sam Berns was a boy from Sharon, Massachusetts who died this past January at the age of 17 from the rare disease called progeria.  Progeria is a genetic disease which strikes less than 350 children in the world which causes accelerated aging.  I first read of Sam Berns in an article by Yonatan Rosenblum and it spurred me on to learn more. 
               One month before his passing, Sam delivered a TED talk on the topic of  "My philosophy for a happy life." (You can watch this talk at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36m1o-tM05g).    Some time ago, he shared, he was interviewed and asked, "What is the most important thing that people should know about you?"  He responded, "My answer was simply- I have a very happy life. Even though there are  many obstacles in my life, I don't want people to feel bad for me... I don't think about these obstacles all the time and I can overcome them anyway." He then continued to offer his three tips for happiness:  
1.  "I am okay with what I ultimately can't do because there is so much I can do.  Most of my time is spent thinking about things that have nothing to do with progeria at all. I know what I am missing out on, but instead I choose to focus on things I can do.  Sometimes I need to find a different way to do things by making adjustments and I want to put those in the can -do category. (Isn't this a lesson we wish to relay to our children? We want them to see the cup half full instead of  half empty.  Through maintaining positive attitudes, finding solutions when they think a challenge is insurmountable and through taking some risks our children can be raised with Sam's tip #1. I call this tip: "Who is rich? He who is satisfied with his lot." (Avot 4:1). )
2. " I surround myself with people I want to be with- people with high quality.  We see each other for who we are in the inside... I am at the highest point when I am with the people that surround me every day.  They provide the real positive influence in my life... I hope you appreciate and love your family, friends, and acknowledge your mentors and community... My family and mentors always make me feel whole and good about myself." (We all know the power of positive peer pressure. We ask our teens to evaluate- do I feel good about the person I "become" when I am with this friend? Do my friends influence me to do the right thing?  Do my friends support me or often do they "walk all over me"?  Do they appreciate me for who I am in the inside?  These conversations start from a young age.  I actively say out loud to my own children why I have chosen some of my own friends- how their special qualities bring out the best in me-even as an adult. I call this tip: "Make for yourself a rabbi, acquire for yourself a friend..." (Avot 1:6)).
3. "Keep moving forward.  Walt Disney said, 'Around here we don't look backwards for very long...We keep moving forward. Opening up new doors and doing new things.' I always try to have something to look forward to and something to strive for. It doesn't have to be something big.  There is a bright future ahead that might get me through some difficult times. Staying in a forward thinking state of mind. I try not to waste energy feeling sorry for myself. If I do, I get stuck in a paradox where there is no room for happiness or any other emotion. It's not that I ignore when I'm feeling badly. I let it in so I can acknowledge it, and do what I need to do to move past it."  (Wow! The ability to learn from past mistakes and experiences rather than be scarred by them is a skill we want all our children to have.  Dwelling in upset is simply "wasting energy feeling sorry" for oneself. How can we take that energy and put it towards planning a better future situation?  We all need help in letting go of hurt and using it for self-improvement and improving the situation around us. We teach our children to say, "Okay. I am hurt. The situation is not what I want. Now what can I do about it? I know it will get better".  I call this tip "Who is wise? He who can see the future" (Tamid 32a))
               Sam ended his talk speaking about a recent illness the year before. He stated that being brave is not easy.  He then asserted that "no matter what I choose to become I will change the world..."   ( Sam then ended with his last tip for achieving happiness, "Never miss a party if you can help it."  Let's not forget that sometimes having fun causes happiness!).
               In Sam's short lifetime, he did change the world.  His parents, (both doctors), founded the Progeria Research Foundation.  The Foundation discovered in 2003 that the disease is caused by a tiny mutation in a single gene.  Sam was also part of a research study conducted by the foundation which paved the way for the first treatment for progeria.  Research they conducted provided information about aging in general.   And, as Yonatan Rosenblum noted at Sam's passing, "Just one month ago, he said publicly, 'I believe I can change the world.'  And he did. No matter what our challenges, there is no one who could watch Sam describe his “happy life” without being strengthened."


No comments:

Post a Comment